Monday, January 28, 2013

Pheaturing Maggie Bell


Hello, people, and welcome to the Phile. How are you?  Justin Bieber just surpassed Lady Gaga as the most followed person on Twitter. Justin now has 33,410,000... 28,000 more than Lady Gaga. If you want to confuse your grandfather, wake him up right now and scream, "Bieber beat Gaga on Twitter!" He'll think you're possessed. Justin Bieber reminds me a lot of myself at that age except instead of 33 million followers, it was two followers. Instead of Twitter followers, it was employees of a comic book store following me to make sure I didn't steal anything.  There was a scary moment at John Kerry's secretary of state confirmation hearing. One of the senators had taken his Ambien the night before and combined with the stuffy room and Kerry's boring speech, he slipped a coma.  House Speaker John Boehner said that President Obama's focus is to annihilate the Republican Party. Do the Republicans look like they need help from President Obama?  Whose been following the Manti Te'o story? Manti sat down for an interview with Katie Couric. Katie asked him at what point did he know something was amiss? My guess is when he found that she wasn't a miss. Get it? A miss. Never mind.  The NRA made an ad saying that Obama is elitist because his kids have armed guards. Yeah, that crazy Obama thinking his kids need special protection. I love the NRA accusing anyone of being paranoid. It's like a septic tank saying, "You need a mint." If the NRA keeps messing with the President's daughters, they're going to have to start worrying about Michelle Obama's guns. And you know what I'm talking about.  Rick Perry said Obama's suggestions for gun control disgust him. He said the real answer to this problem isn't laws, it's prayer. You know, i know you're not supposed to say this about elected officials, but I would pay to see Rick Perry defend himself against a school shooter with prayer.  I mentioned yesterday that J.J. Abrams is gonna direct the new Star Wars movie. I wondered if this was a good idea, then saw this photo.


All I can say is... phew!  So, we are gonna have a garage sale in a few weeks and we went through some of our old children's books we had when we were kids and we discovered this one...


Damn those Japanese.  The other day I went to a store and in a bargain bin I found something weird. I thought I was up to date with all the latest toys and stuff.


Frams Torners. That sounds like a character from Star Wars.  They're filming a new Iron Man movie right now and I saw a screen shot from it, and I can't help but to think Disney is not spending as much money on the film.


Why the hell is the Iron Man on the right looking at his hands?  So, it seems Lance Armstrong is back to bike racing again. Check out this photo from the race over the weekend.


Keith Richards held the lead in the Tour de Transfusion.  Alright, well, the campaign to get Kelly Clarkson on the Phile continues, people. Post this on your Facebook and Twitter, kids, we will do this. she will be interviewed on the Phile.


That's so stupid. Okay, from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is...


Top Phive Reasons Atari Filed For Bankruptcy
5. Sales of "Zaxxon" have slumped for the last 126 consecutive quarters.
4. The company never regained it's footing after their CEO was crushed beneath a barrel thrown by a giant ape.
3. Turns out Pitfall Harry was embezzling the shit out of the place.
2. As the makers of "Centipede", they racked up millions in legal fees in an ill-conceived trademark lawsuit against the producers of The Human Centipede.
And the number one reason Atari filed for bankruptcy is...
1. It was squished by the modern world... like a slow-moving frog getting smashed by a bright orange truck.




Okay, over the last year or more I had some great political guests on the Phile, including President Obama and Michelle Obama. Today I am pleased to say that Vice President Joe Biden is here. I can get these people and I can't get Kelly Clarkson? What the hell? Anyway, the VP is here to talk about something the President did last week. So, please welcome to the Phile for the first time, the 47th and current Vice President of the United States... Joe Biden!


Me: Hello, Mister Vice President, sir, welcome to the Phile. 

Joe: Great to be here.

Me: So, you wanted to talk about something the President did last week? What did he do apart from the inauguration?

Joe: He proposed a set of major reforms to help protect our children and our communities by curbing gun violence.

Me: He announced a few actions for this, right? How many?

Joe: He announced 23 executive actions that will go a long way in helping keep our kids safe. 

Me: Wow, this is an important start, right, sir?

Joe: Yes, but I have no illusions about what needs to be done and how difficult it will be. 

Me: Jim Messina was on the Phile last week and said that the Second Amendment will still be upheld, is this right?

Joe: Every step we intend to take will preserve the tradition of responsible gun ownership in our country and uphold the Second Amendment. 

Me: You know you'll never end gun violence entirely, Mr. Vice President. That's impossible.

Joe: True, but if we can save the life of even one child, then we have a responsibility to act. 

Me: Is Congress helping you? You can't do this alone.

Joe: This action includes not only what we can do, but what Congress can do. 

Me: And will they help?

Joe: To make a real and lasting difference, they must act soon. 

Me: How many items should the the President has called on Congress to act on, sir?

Joe: Four specific legislative measures.

Me: What are they?

Joe: Closing background check loopholes, banning military-style assault weapons and limiting high-capacity ammunition magazines, making our schools safer, and increasing access to mental health services. 

Me: The President has asked you to head the Gun Violence Task Force, created to address the causes of gun violence in the United States in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. What does that mean exactly, and what will you be doing?

Joe: The President asked me to work with law enforcement, teachers, parents, sportsmen, Democrats, Republicans, faith leaders, mental health experts, and other organizations and individuals to come up with a set of concrete policy proposals. 

Me: That's part of his plan?

Joe: Yes, the plan he put forth is the product of those conversations and recommendations. 

Me: And this all stems from the Newtown shootings?

Joe: It doesn't matter whether you live in a big city or a small town like Newtown, Connecticut. When our fellow Americans are victims of senseless violence, we all pull together as one American family.

Me: So, do you really think this will all help a little or a lot?

Joe: Whether the action we take saves one life or 1,000, it matters. 

Me: Well, good luck, and thanks for taking time out of your schedule to be here, Mr. Vice President, sir. Come back again soon, and tell the Obama's the Phile says hello. Is there anything you wanna tell the readers of this blog?

Joe: Let's get this done, pholks.

Me: Nicely said, sir. Thanks again, it was truly an honor to talk to you.

Joe: Thank you.




Man, that was so cool, wasn't it? Alright, the 23rd book to be pheatured in the Phile Book Club is...


The book is available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Phile Alum and author Jim Korkis will be a guest on the Phile in a few weeks.






Today's pheatured guest is a is a Scottish rock and blues-rock singer, regarded by some as Britain's answer to Janis Joplin. She has a new CD/DVD out called "Best Of Sound and Vision" and she will be next appearing at BÜZ in Minden, Germany on February 8th. Please welcome to the Phile... Maggie Bell!


Me: Hello, Maggie, it's a huge honor to have you here. How are you?

Maggie: Good.

Me: You have been described over the years as Britain's answer to Janis Joplin. What do you think about that, being compared to her?

Maggie: Yes, when I went to USA they labelled me the new Janis Joplin... they always wanted me to have photograph's taken with a bottle of Southern Comfort which I have never tasted.

Me: Neither have I, Maggie. Were you a fan of Janis and did you ever meet her?

Me: I never had the pleasure of meeting her, she was a free spirit and had a tough time in her life. I think people took advantage of her which happens in any business.

Me: Speaking of meeting someone, my dad was Lonesome Dave from Savoy Brown and Foghat, Maggie. Did you know my dad? If so, do you have any cool stories?

Maggie: I am sorry to say I never met your dad.

Me: Well, speaking of Foghat, original bass player Tony Stevens was in your band Midnight Flyer. How was he to work with, Maggie?

Maggie: Oh dear, Tony Stevens we called him Stinky Stevens! He was fab as a person we had a LOT of laughs. A really lovely man.

Me: I have a photo I found of Midnight Flyer here.


Me: Maggie, you are from Glasgow in Scotland, right? Do you still live there?

Maggie: I live in London but I still visit and do gig's in Scotland. I love it up there... people are wonderful.

Me: When you first came to America what did you think and what was the first state you came to? I am guessing New York.

Maggie: First time and tour of USA was Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishman Tour. I was like a rabbit caught in the headlights I am not like that anymore for sure... a late developer. Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge, Jim Keltner and a host of many crazy, crazy people. It just got bigger and bigger! That was Stone The Crows first Tour of USA, and we got detained by the feds... honest... looking for substances. I said to them, "Excuse me we're from Scotland and don't know what your talking about." "Oh yeah." they said. They never found anything. We didn't have anything... like such a paranoid nation.

Me: Wow. You keep yourself busy, involved in a few different bands. You must really like to play, Maggie. It shows in the videos I watched. What was your favorite show you have ever done in your career?

Maggie: I find all my shows are as important as the last one and I have always had respect for my audiences. They are very faithful and I fully appreciate them and I always TRY with all my power not to short change them.

Me: You were in a band The Manfreds with Paul Jones who I am trying to get here on the Phile. How did you get to be involved in that band?

Maggie: I did two tours with the Manfreds. A great band, Paul is Master of the Harmonica nobody like him and a sweetheart!! I never knew Manfred Man although he offered me a gig with his band.

Me: I never Manfred was a person... Anyway, who did you listen to growing up, Maggie and who do you listen to now? I am not a big fan of Lady Gaga but I heard her do some blues stuff when she was starting out. She has really got a good voice.

Maggie: Lady Gaga works hard on her presentation it must take a long time to get into the outfits. Her songs are very commercial good luck to her She deserves it... she's a business woman.

Me: Another band you have been recently involved with is the Jon Lord Blues Project. I interviewed Miller Anderson awhile ago who is in that band with you. I wish I got to interview Jon who recently passed.

Maggie: Dear Jon Lord... we loved working with him. A wonderful musician... he will be missed.

Me: How did you all pick what songs you were going to do in those shows?

Maggie: The songs I do with the Blues Project I have also done with my band British Blues Quintet and they are good songs which go down well.

Me: One of your early bands you were in was Stone the Crows. Where did that name come from, Maggie?

Maggie: The name Stone The Crows was given to us by Peter Grant, our manager and Zeps manager.

Me: It sounds like a Stones and Black Crowes cover band. You recorded three solo albums I think, but only the album "Queen of the Night" was released. What happened to the other two albums and do you ever think they'll be released?

Maggie: The two albums that I recorded in New York before "Queen Of The Night" were produced by Felix Cavalerie, Young Rascals and Felix Pappalardi. They went missing and I am still trying to find out where they are. The vocal backing's were by the late great Luther Vandross.

Me: Huh. I have to ask you about Led Zeppelin, you were on their label Swan Song, along with Dave Edmunds. Were you friendly with Zeppelin?

Maggie: Yes, we were all with Swan Song. Paul Rogers with Bad Company, Pretty Things, myself and Zeppelin.

Me: You must've been friendly with Jimmy Page, he released a tribute album to you. Did you know that album was coming out? What did you think when you found out about it?

Maggie: Thanks for telling me about the Jimmy Page tribute album. I worked with Chris Farlowe two weeks ago and he said he was on it... thanks for that, I will check it out.

Me: Okay, let's talk about some of your latest releases... "Live Montreux July 1981" and "Best of Sound & Vision". With these albums, are you getting a lot of notice from younger fans?

Maggie: Yes, I find that younger singers come to the gig's and the audiences are too that makes me happy.

Me: Wanda Jackson released a new album produced by Jack White a few years ago. Can you ever see yourself recording a new solo album? That would be amazing.

Maggie: Maybe.

Me: Before I let you go, I have to ask, is it true you sang backing vocals on Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story"? How was that recording session?

Maggie: Yes, I did "Every Picture Tells A Story". I sang the title track with Rod. I think he liked Stone The Crows and I think John Baldry had something to do with it. Just like the "Tommy" original album that was down to Roger Daltrey... just another gig but enjoyable.

Me: Maggie, thanks so much for bring here on the Phile and please come back again soon. Go ahead and mention your website and take care and I hope to see you live one day. Thanks again.

Maggie: I do love my life and I love music. Maggiebell.co.uk.

Me: Thank you, Maggie, take care.






There you go, that about does it for this entry. Thanks to my guests Vice President Joe Biden and of course Maggie Bell, and to Adrian Stevens for hooking the interview up. The Phile will be back next Sunday with Brinsley Schwarz from Graham Parker and the Rumour. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!



No comments:

Followers