Sunday, March 10, 2013

The 600th Entry Pheaturing Brad Roberts From Crash Test Dummies


Hello, welcome to the 600th entry of the Phile. I am your host Peverett the Great and Powerful. Ha! Who am I kidding? I'm not that great and I certainly am not powerful. I have a sick stomach, a kidney stone and a fucked up shoulder. Anyway, this is the 600th entry of the Phile, can you believe it? That's more entries then the Kardashian sister's ever had. Speaking of 600, I have to show you this before I forget.


I thought that was funny. So, did you set your clock's forward, everybody? Just checking.  President Obama's half-brother is running for office in Kenya. He's a political novice who was born and raised in Africa. I don't know much about the half-brother.  Many people don't realize Chicago is the home of two major cookie companies... Keebler and Nabisco. They are intense rivals. No one will forget the Great Keebler Elf Massacre of 1934. The massacre was horrible. Hats and pointy shoes everywhere. Three elves were found face-down in a pool of their own fudge. Police described the scene as delicious.  A new season of Donald Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice" started last Monday. It includes Steven Baldwin and others who are celebrities... in the way that "I Can't Believe It's not Butter" is butter. The show has Dennis Rodman, our new ambassador to North Korea. Dennis is back home safely after visiting the North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un. And apparently they hit it off. Rodman called him a friend for life. But he said the same thing when he married Carmen Electra.  Well, as you probably know, Congress did not reach an agreement and Congresswoman Maxine Waters said 170 million jobs could be lost. There are only 155 million workers in America. Are you beginning to understand why we're in this situation in the first place? The cuts have already begun. Just the other day, the Pope got laid off. At this point, we have no idea who the next Pope will be. How about Mitt Romney? He's not doing anything.  Gas is so expensive, I heard Bill O'Reilly is carpooling with Bill Maher.  There's a big movie out last week. It's called The Last Exorcism Part 2. How can it be called The Last Exorcism Part 2? By definition, a movie called "last anything" can't have a sequel. It's not possible. Unless... unless Hollywood is run by profit-hungry liars. In the first Last Exorcist, a young girl gets possessed by Satan. The priest performs an exorcism to try and cast him out. I guess in part two, the devil returns because he forgot his wallet or something. If you're scheduling an exorcism, you need to make sure someone's actually possessed. If a young woman looks sickly and pale and vomits all the time, she may just be an actress.  Groupon fired the founder and CEO of the company. Yeah, he could tell something was up because today's deal was his parking space.  A new study found that at least 50 percent of all pets in the United States are overweight. Veterinarians plan to treat this as a serious problem, or as fat pets put it, "Did you say treat?"  Kim Kardashian said that couples should be together for at least six months before they decide to get married. And they should stay married for at least six days before they decide to get divorced.  A new study found that pessimistic people actually live longer than optimists, which would be great news for pessimists if they believed in great news.  So, Disney, that amazing company that I work for, might be making Jennifer Lawrence a princess. I don't know why, but she seems to fit in. Here is a reminder on what Jennifer looked like at the Oscars.


And this is a picture of a Disney princess...

 

See? She'll be perfect.  I was watching the news the other day, and I thought, man, it must be a slow news day. Check this out.


They're really taking this whole gun control thing to the extreme.  It's "The Great Space Coaster" Month on the Phile if you didn't know by now, kids. I was thinking, roller coaster's are fun. But not for everyone. This month I am showing you actual pictures of real people on roller coaster's. Check this one out.

 
That poor girl, she looks so scared. LOL. And look at that face her mom is making. Crazy.  Alright, so, as I told you, I am not well, I am kidney stone blue. So, if you're feeling sorry for me, and would like to make me feel better, can you buy this for me?


Anyone? Please? I know you love me, fine readers. Okay, let's see who took a long dirt nap this week.


 

Alvin Lee  
December 19, 1944 - March 6, 2013
Goin' home.

Paul Bearer
April 10, 1954 - March 5, 2013
What could kill him? He survived being buried in concrete, being thrown off a stage, and locked in a freezer, the last two by his own son, Kane!

Hugo Chavez
July 28, 1954 - March 5, 2013
Hugone.



Alright, one of my favorite things about the Phile is I get to invite and have some cool people contributing. One of the most popular is a young woman from Scotland. She shoots from the hip, heart, camera, gun, sling-shot, tank... Please welcome back to the Phile, the one and only... Debbie Boldacious in a pheature called...


It was International Women's Day on Friday. Just to confirm, this is NOT some secret lady cult, where women all over the world ACTIVATE their periods at the same time. Slaughter all men, so we can live in a world without testosterone fuelled wars... oooh! Controversial! MENSTRUAL CYCLE A-C-T-I-V-A-T-E! On a more serious note, I'm disturbed by the lack of knowledge and awareness by some women and girls, of EPIC women from our past, that have shaped our world now. No, I'm not referring to the woman who invented Spanx. And the bullshit they all went through, to create the world we live in now. There are so many current women (and men) who continue to inspire, amuse, and amaze me. I'm personally taking this week to show my appreciation to some of these AWESOME women. I'm also putting together a list of movies I feel that every mother should show their daughters, to EDUCATE and INSPIRE, and feel good about being female. And no, it's not "chick flicks", or "period dramas" HaHaHa! Righteous women and men, I salute you.

Good job, Debbie. Looking forward to finding out what movies are on the list. Alright, being it's the 600th entry of the Phile, not only is Debbie here, but a singer, surfer, patriot, renaissance man... you know what time it is. Please welcome back to the Phile... Laird Jim.


We're not farmers... leave the friggen' clocks alone. Had this cool moment I wanted to share... Waiting for a client and listening to a strange song with an incredible groove. As I'm lightly bobbing my head in time, I notice a young man in his 20s with headphones on dancing his ass off in perfect time to what I was listening to. Now I'm watching him and smiling... enjoying the show. As the song finished, he stopped and crossed the street to the bus stop across from me. He looks at me and says,"Were you listening to that too? I don't know what that song was but I just lost it over there." I just grinned and replied, "Music is the glue that binds us all together." He nodded and stepped onto the bus.



Great job, both of you. Alright, now for the announcement of the 24th book to be pheatured in the Peverett Phile Book Club. It's a little different then the other books, but there's a reason for it. Here is the book.

 
It's written by Noel MacNeal, who as you see on the cover of the book was Bear. But there's also "The Great Space Coaster" connection. He played Knock Knock after John Lovelady left to work on another show. Noel will be a guest on the Phile in a few weeks. And did I mention, he was Bear?!







Okay, this is cool. Today's pheatured guest is the lead singer and guitarist for one of my favorite bands from the 90s... Crash Test Dummies, who are widely known for their 1993 single "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm". Their latest album which came out a few years ago is "Oooh La La" and is available on iTunes. Please welcome to the Phile... Brad Roberts.


Me: Hello, Brad, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Brad: I'm tired, but I'll live. I have sleep issues. I also forget to eat.

Me: It's such an honor to have you here as in the 90s Crash Test Dummies was one of my favorite bands. You are of course known for having that deep bass-baritone voice, Brad. When did you did you first realize you had such a deep voice?

Brad: When I was 14 my voice broke, and suddenly all my classmates were trying to imitate me.

Me: Did you find it hindered or helped your singing?

Brad: I thought I was cursed with a voice too low, but it turned out to be an asset. I started by writing for other singers, and when they weren't delivering what I was hearing, I decided I'd have to do it myself.

Me: Brad, where did the name Crash Test Dummies come from? I heard of a crash test dummy, but how did that get to be the band name?

Brad: Dude, I can't believe you're asking me this question. Seriously, man.

Me: Now I feel like I'm the dummy. Moving on... you're from Canada, right? What part and do you still live there?

Brad: I am from Winnipeg, Canada, which is near the very geographical centre of the North American content. Literally in the middle of nowhere, so to speak. I now live in NYC.

Me: Brad, this is gonna seem like a stupid question, as I am sure you toured with them, but I am a huge Barenaked Ladies fan and I always ask my Canadian guests if they are fans of them as well. So, are you?

Brad: The Ladies are a great bunch of guys and I've gigged with them many times. Very worthy humans, as well as great entertainers.

Me: When did you first meet them?

Brad: We shared the stage back in 1991. Can't remember where.

Me: Alright, I have to mention the album "God Shuffled His Feet" as it's in my top ten albums of all time. When that album became huge, were you blown away, Brad?

Brad: I wasn't blown away until the dust had settled. It was all so much work and so many places that nothing had time to sink in.

Me: Did you do anything crazy to celebrate it's success?

Brad: Yeah, I made another record!

Me: Everybody who lived at that time has heard of the song "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm". Were you surprised that song was a success?

Brad: The song died in Canada very quickly, but a radio station in Georgia saved us from oblivion. Once we had proved that sales were flowing from airplay, they plugged us into the machine.

Me: Did that song have another title? Did you know it was gonna be called "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm" when you wrote it?

Brad: I couldn't think of any lyrics for the chorus, and when I hummed the melody, the band said it sounded great with no words. hence mmmmmmm...

Me: Okay, before we talk about the new fantastic album "Oooh La La" let's talk about the band. CTD is not so much of a band anymore but just you and Stewart Lerman, am I right?

Brad: It's me and Ellen for the most part. Stewart Lerman is a fantastic producer and co-writer. I still write all of the lyrics. The rest of the band have kids and are unavailable. I chose not to become a breeder so I could keep doing the music.

Me: Crash Test Dummies was mostly you (and Ellen) I think anyway in my opinion. You guys were the voices, and you wrote all the songs. How did you and Stewart meet and get to work together?

Brad: I met Stuart Lerman through a friend, singer-songwriter/novelist Suzzy Roche. Check her out. Her book is monster!

Me: Did you think of changing the band name or recording under your own name?

Brad: No.

Me: Okay, let's talk about the latest album "Oooh La La"... where did that name come from?

Brad: From a line in one of the songs.

Me: And who is the beautiful chick on the album cover?

Brad: That's an old piece of commercial art. I'd have to look up the guys name... you'll find it on the album cover.

Me: Does "Oooh La La" have a radio single, or a video?

Brad: Radio is dead. MTV is dead. Radio singles and videos don't make sense anymore.

Me: Okay. So, what do you prefer, writing lyrics or music, Brad?

Brad: I love them equally.

Me: Are you guys gonna be working on a new album, and going on tour? What's next for you? You gotta come and play in Orlando.

Brad: We will release an album in 2013 but I don't plan on ever touring again. It's just too much of a grind. I'd rather not live that way.

Me: Brad, how old were you when you started to play guitar and what was the first song you learnt? 

Brad: First song i learned was "Turkey In The Straw". Started playing piano at 5. Switched to guitar at 13.

Me: What music did you listen to growing up? Any Foghat?

Brad: Foghat, yes. Aerosmith, Alice Cooper were big for me. Also Kiss. I was 10.

Me: Alright, before I let you go, I have a few more questions... the song "Androgynous"... did you or Paul Westerberg write it? What do you prefer, The Replacements' version or yours?

Brad: Paul Westerberg wrote it our cover is just that... a cover, so no I don't prefer one or the other. They are apples and oranges.

Me: I read you worked with Joe Jackson! When was this and what album? Was he cool to work with? He's in my top ten list to get on the Phile.

Brad: Yes, I sang on his "7 Deady Sins" record. Performed it with him too. Great guy. A lovable curmudgeon.

Me: And I looked at pictures on your website for the Phile and I was stunned to see a naked picture of you. What the hell? You're braver than I am, Brad. You do know it's there? For the female readers, here is that picture.


Me: Why can't Ellen Reid have a naked photo on her site?

Brad: You'd have to ask her.

Me: I will, if I can ever interview her. Brad, go ahead and mention your website. Thanks so much for being here, and please come back when your next album comes out. Was this fun?

Brad: This was a blast, dude. Check me out facebook or crashtestdummies.com. Bye!

Me: Thanks again, Brad.




There you go, that about wraps it up for the 600th entry. Thanks to Debbie Boldacious, Laird Jim and of course Brad Roberts. The Phile will be back tomorrow with puppeteer and member of "The Great Space Coaster", Jim Martin. Next Sunday if I am well enough I will be at MegaCon, so the Phile will be back next Monday with John Lovelady, also from "TGSC". So, get on board. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!



 

No comments:

Followers