Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pheaturing Phile Alum Holly Elle


It's a boy! Hello, and welcome to the Phile. Last Monday when I talked about the royal baby I received email saying I was more excited and talked more about the royal baby here on the Phile than I did my own son's birth. I don't think blogs were aroud in 1999. This one sure wasn't. Anyway, I’m sure you all heard the news about the royal baby. William and Kate are the proud parents of a baby boy. Can you believe the media coverage? You’d think it was Kim Kardashian and Kanye West having a kid. They kept saying on the news, "the royal couple welcomes a baby boy." Well, I hope so. Do people sometimes give a kid the cold shoulder? They named the boy Festus. LOL. The baby will be third in line to the pretend crown. The baby weighed about 8 pounds. Americans were like, "How much is that in dollars?" Prince Harry popped some champagne and danced naked around the palace. Then he heard about the baby. The prince said what any proud family member would say: "Back of the line, junior." There were very few people in the room for the birth. Prince William, the father, was there. Kate Middleton's mother was there, and Neil Patrick Harris... I believe he was there. He does the Emmys, the Tonys, the royal birth. And you know what, he makes it better. Normally I don't enjoy these things but when Neil does it, it's entertaining.  There's other news going on, in this country. Detroit has become the largest city in U.S. history to file for bankruptcy. What happened was Detroit's population dropped something like 70 percent, but the government got bigger. The tax base got smaller, but the government got bigger. Thank God that kind of thing could never happen in Washington.  Have you heard about the Anthony Weiner scandal? Yep, he's back in the news again. Weiner is running for mayor of New York City. He confirmed that some new sexually explicit messages have been leaked. He sent them to a woman on Facebook using the code name 'Carlos Danger.' Which is still easier to believe than that other name: Mayor Weiner. Weiner says he won't drop out of the race so that means by day he'll be Mr. Mayor, and by night he'll be 'Carlos Danger, Gaucho of Love.' Carlos Danger... isn't that the guy from the Dos Equis commercials? Yes, even after the sexting scandal that ended his congressional career. It turns out he learned nothing. Has this man never heard of SnapChat? Your dong shots disappear seconds after you send them… I have been told.  I love the New York Post, did you see the front page the other day? This is real...


Too hard to stop. Those writers are funny.  Alright, lets talk about the royal baby again. I'm British, so I can. Did you see how William and Kate showed the baby to the world? No? Then check this out.


Damn, Kate looks hot, doesn't she?  You know I love those Minions from the Despicable Me movies, right? Well, I do. And I think McDonald's is very creative in their tie-in promotion with them.


As I mentioned on Monday, Rolling Stone magazine is getting a lot of grief because they put the Boston bomber on their cover. Well, that's not the only magazine who put Dzhokhar on their cover.


That's odd This Old House featured him.  Hey, the Phile has a new sponsor!


I might need to use some of that. Haha. Alright, now from the home office in Port Jefferson, here is this week's...


Top Phive Groups Of People Who Went To See The Wolverine.
5. Theater lovers who didn't think Hugh Jackman's one-man Broadway show had enough carotid-artery slashing.
4. San Diego Comic Con goers from last week who still haven't taken off their Wolverine costumes.
3. People excited for the "fresh take" on Wolverine that Hugh Jackman will inevitably give the sixth time around.
2. Extremely heterosexual men who are totally not seeing this movie because they have a secret.
And the number one group of people who went to see The Wolverine...
1. Adamantium aficionados.







If you spot the Mind Phuck email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. Okay, you know what time it is... he's a patriot, singer and renaissance man... it's time for...


On the parkway and I notice an 80 year old woman tailgating me very closely... waving her hand 'coz I'm in her way. I'm doing 65... yea... right. I figured that I'd have some fun with her so I lowered the seat so all she could see was a tuft of hair sticking up and my knuckles on the steering wheel. I slowed down to 57 matching the speed of the person next me so she couldn't go around. I think the part that really pissed her off was when I drove for the next 4 miles in the left lane with my left turn signal on.  La la-la la-la.






Okay, today's pheatured guest is a Phile Alum who has a new EP out called "Leopardess" that's available on iTunes right now. It should have been called "Holy Hell". Anyway, please welcome back to the Phile... Holly Elle.


Me: Hello, Holly, welcome back to the Phile. How are you? How have you been?

Holly: Glad to be back! I have been, and continue to be fantastic, thank you for asking.

Me: I take it you've been pretty busy recording, and making videos and playing shows, right? What is your favorite thing to do?

Holly: I have indeed been busy. I really enjoy all of the above so I can’t pick a favorite. I love them all equally, like people pretend to love all their children equally.

Me: You're from Canada but based in Nashville, am I right?

Holly: You are so right.

Me: Do you get to go back to Canada often?

Holly: Not very often at all, sadly. I like to make my family come visit me here in Nashville a lot though.

Me: I think I asked you this last time you were here, was Nashville your first choice of a city in America to move to?

Holly: Not necessarily. I considered other music centers like New York and LA, but once I visited Nashville I knew it was the place for me.

Me: You mentioned you tried country music before then thought that wasn't what you wanted to sing. Do you still not want to sing country?

Holly: Well, to be clear I sang some gigs when I moved to town where I covered country music. I’ll definitely never be a “country singer”, but I do like blending styles, so you never know what elements will show up in my music from other genres. I have written country songs though, but for other people.

Me: Alright. I think some of your songs would sound great country-fied. Is that even a word?

Holly: Oh yes, it’s a word. Actually you’re not the first person to tell me that. I think a lot of songs sound great when someone reworks them and covers them in a new genre. I would love to hear someone do that with one of my songs.

Me: Do you watch the "Nashville" TV show, Holly?

Holly: I watch the hell outta that show.

Me: You look good on film judging by the videos I saw. Do you think one day you'd try acting?

Holly: Oh, why thank you. Absolutely I would. I was actually asked to be in a local production here in town and I can’t wait to be a part of it. I will announce it on my website when the details are settled.

Me: Cool. You tried out for "Glee", maybe you can try out for "Nashville". Whatcha think?

Holly: Hm... I dunno, maybe. I don’t know if I’m countrified enough...

Me: Haha. Last time you were here you were plugging your first EP "Infinitude". Since then that EP won best debut. Congrats. Did you get a plaque or anything?

Holly: Come to think of it, no! Where’s my effing plaque???

Me: I would of gave you one. Who gave you that award, Holly?

Holly: A website called Taking Over The Universe.

Me: Let's talk about your new EP "Leopardess". I see you passed on the name I came up for your EP... "Holy Hell". That's okay, you can always name your third EP that. Where did the name "Leopardess" come from?

Holly: I may have to save that one for a greatest hits album, it’s that good. I was looking for another cool one-word title that you don’t hear often. This album was very much about independence for me and I’m a huge animal lover, so the leopardess to me represents a strong self-sufficient female. Aaaaaand I’m obsessed with leopard print.

Me: How would you compare both EP's, Holly?

Holly: "Leopardess" marks a huge amount of growth for me, as a person and as an artist. I think everything about it is better.

Me: Did you have the same people working on both of them?

Holly: Yes I did. Same awesome producers; Zodlounge Music.

Me: I watched the video for "Who I Am", the single from the EP, and that was filmed all of Nashville. Was it fun to make?

Holly: It was so much fun to make. Every time I do a photo shoot, make a video, record in the studio, or play a show, I have so much fun. It really can’t be called work. It’s a blessing.

Me: So, who are you? Is that song about you, Holly? I take it is if you wrote it.

Holly: Who am I? I’m a mystery, baby. For me personally, sometimes the songs are 100% biographical, sometimes they are 100% invented, and sometimes it’s a mix. But what’s important is that the listener gets to decide what it means to them.

Me: Your song "Freak" got you a lot of attention in the gay community. Are you still getting attention the same way?

Holly: I’m not sure how to gauge that. What I do know for sure is that there are LGBT issues that still need attention, and I look forward to continuing to support in any way I can.

Me: Good point, and that was a stupid question. So, do you have a boyfriend, Holly? Is he supportive of your music and career?

Holly: Are you asking me out?

Me: Ummm... no. Not yet. LOL.

Holly: Well, this is awkward... Like I said, I’m a mystery. But you can bet your ass if I did have a boyfriend, he’d be more than supportive.

Me: Alright, moving on... You had a song in the show "Bad Girls Club" and "Real World". That's cool, TV placements work, Holly. If you could have your music in any show, what would it be?

Holly: That’s a good question! I still love "Grey’s Anatomy" and would love to be on that. I also want to be on a Kardashian show, I love them, I don’t care what the haters say!

Me: I don't know what "Bad Girls Club" is. Are you a "bad girl"? What do bad girls do?

Holly: Yeah what is a “bad” girl? Maybe you have to watch the show to find out, maybe it’s instructional. I think it’s good to be a little bad, but you won’t find me like snatchin’ weaves off a girl’s head if that’s what it means.

Me: Alright, so, what's next for you? That "Holy Hell" EP?

Holly: It might have to be, I mean there’s been so much hype and anticipation now, do I have any choice?

Me: Of course you do. Any new music planned?

Holly: I’m always writing and there’s always new music to come.

Me: Will you come back on the Phile when your next release comes out, Holly?

Holly: Hell yes! I do believe I could go on like this with you all day.

Me: Cool! So, this year I am asking questions thanks to a box of cards called Tabletopics. Are you ready? I think I asked someone this before, but here goes. What are the redeeming qualities of the person you most dislike?

Holly: Oh my god they’re such an asshole, how can I possibly... Okay think, Holly, there’s got to be something... their mother loves them? I kid, I kid. That’s a great question. I love new and different questions. Of course everyone has redeeming qualities. I would have to say that they can be very thoughtful. When they aren’t being an asshole.

Me: Holly, thanks for coming back on the Phile. Was it as fun this time as last time?

Holly: More fun, if that’s possible.

Me: It is possible. Go ahead and plug your websites and please come back.

Holly: Hearholly.com, Twitter: @hearholly, Facebook: facebook.com/pages/Holly-Elle/177891678905141.  Thanks for having me. I look forward to the next time!

Me: Fantastic.




That's about it for this entry. Thanks to Laird Jim and Holly Elle. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Will Hinkle, singer for the band L.M.I. and also Michelle Obama! Yep, she's back on the Phile. On Monday it's Phile Alum Jeff Cameron. Yes, he's back as well. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!





No comments:

Followers