Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pheaturing Christoper Noyes From Solia Tera


Hey there, kids, how are you doing? We just had a garage sale and I am hot and sweaty. we did pretty good, my wife sold my man hood. Haha  We are at a standstill with the government shutdown. It is costing $300 million a day. That is a full Iron Man sequel per day. We could be up to Iron Man 7 tomorrow. Nonessential government services have been put on hold. Flight safety inspectors furloughed. National monuments closed. The Grand Canyon is closed. They filled it with Spackle. Passport offices have been closed too. Interesting fact: Passport lines take exactly the same amount of time whether the passport office is open or not.  Disney World, the best place to work for in the world, said it will help its employees sign up for Obamacare. So finally, Sneezy can get some Claritin, Sleepy can get some Adderall, and Grumpy can get some Prozac.  There’s a Toy Hall of Fame in Rochester, New York. The games Clue and Magic 8 Ball are both finalists to be inducted this year... because if there's anything that defines the fun of toys, it's murder and a ball that crushes your dreams.  Research has found that because it makes you think positive thoughts, throwing salt over your shoulder can actually prevent bad luck... or at least give you better luck than the guy behind you. Czech TV viewers unexpectedly had a large penis thrust into their faces recently when footage from a documentary that for some reason included a shot of some guy's dong were broadcast onto a monitor behind news anchor Daniel Takac. "We should have been aware of timing and not had that particular scene playing when we went on air," Takac later said. "It was a silly mistake." I was gonna post a picture of the newscast here but didn't think you'd wanna see it. If you do... email me thepeverettphile@gmail.com. ExxonMobil is suing Twentieth Century Fox’s new FXX station for supposedly stealing the overlapping Xs in its logo, claiming it "is likely to cause confusion, to cause mistake, or to deceive customers and potential customers of the parties." Not to mention how FXX clearly appropriated Exxon's practice of haphazardly polluting the world with thick unctuous sludge.  The actual voice of your iPhone's Siri was revealed recently to be a regular human voice actress from Atlanta and not a voluptuous insatiable fembot sex slave like you've been imaging all this time. Susan Bennett says she spent hours in a recording studio everyday in July of 2005 for SRI International, which sold Siri to Apple in 2010. The voices of Siri and Bennett are a match, according to an audio forensics expert, and pretty much anyone who hears them side-by-side. I won't show you a picture of her as it would ruin your fantasy on what Siri looks like. It ruined mine.  Tea Party Texas representative Randy Neugebauer really gave it to a ranger at the National World War II Memorial for not allowing non-veterans into the park, which was closed because of the government shutdown orchestrated by Tea Party Texas representative Randy Neugebauer and other Republican legislators. He was recorded on video heroically lambasting the federal-employee who "should be ashamed" of herself for allowing the park to be affected by his decisions. Elsewhere in Washington, senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul, who also seemingly forgot that recording devices record things, were caught on tape discussing shutdown strategies. Politicians who caused the shutdown doing photo ops at the WWII Memorial are storming the beaches of bad taste.  The government shutdown-related good times had by all on Capitol Hill were briefly suspended yesterday when a 34-year-old dental hygienist, who had led police on a car chase from the White House toward the Capitol building, was fatally shot by police. Once the smoke cleared, everyone was able to take a breath and go back to blaming everyone else for all the chaos going on. I know what we're all thinking about this incident at the Capitol... UGH, women drivers!!!  You kids know who Boba Fett is, right? He looks like the Phile character Tractor Beam without the suit and bling. Anyway, he was seen at a local mall shopping for TV's and I have the proof.


Of all the movies to be shown, he's probably thinking why does it have to be this one? Haha. I'm so stupid. So, you know those captcha things you have to type in on certain websites? Well, I was on a website the other day and this is what came up. This is real, people.


I couldn't believe it.  With the government shutdown someone decided to make money with a new inspirational poster. And you know how much I love these...


Khaaaannnn... gress! Some of you might not get it.  So, it's October and you know what October is? Breast Awareness Month. So, all month I will be showing you some creative yet controversial breast cancer ads. For example... CLEO magazine, the best selling English language women's magazine has launched an online breast cancer awareness video starring CLEO's Most Eligible Bachelor 2009 Henry Golding, the Breast-man. The video can be viewed on askCLEO.com and it's endorsed by the Breast Cancer Welfare Association in Malaysia. This is part of CLEO and ACP magazine's multimedia programme to educate women in Malaysia on how early detection can save lives. Starring Henry Golding accompanied by talented Malaysian actress, Sharifah Amani, together, they successfully deliver the educational component of the video, whilst adding a touch of fun to a serious message.


Ladies, he can help. Sure he can. Okay, and now for some sad news...




Vo Giap
Aug 25, 1911 - Oct 4, 2013
No mo Vo.




If you can spot the Mindphuck email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. well, last week our good friend Laird was here and talked about a little girl who had cancer and a butterfly ring she lost. I was hoping he had a follow up story and he does. So, please welcome back to the Phile singer, patriot, renaissance man and good fiend of the Phile. You know what time it is.


Good afternoon, humans... Last weekend I talked about a lost butterfly ring... and a very brave little girl. I gave it to her father and he told me something that made me weep... and smile. He said that several days ago, she wanted a McNugget kids meal from McDonald's. When asked what toy she wanted, she said the boy's toy because Batman was her favorite super hero. When she was told..."Jim (who brought us here) found your butterfly ring and will drop it off before you wake up."This little angel said... "Daddy, I want you to give him my Batman toy... 'coz HE'S a hero too." So here I sit... all misty eyed, once again. If anything happens to that little girl... I swear... I'll fuckin' LOSE it.


Man alive. Thanks for the update, Laird. And keep us posted. She is in all of our prayers I am sure. Alright, football. It's week five in the NFL and it's time for...


Me: Hey, Jeff, welcome back.

Jeff: Once again it's great to be on the Phile talking football with you, Jason.

Me: It's week 5 already. Talking about weak, man, the Giants are weak. What happened with the Kansas City game? Do you think Tom Coughlin is gonna be fired?

Jeff: If it's any consolation the Steelers are just as weak as the Giants are. But yes, I think this year will be Tom Coughlin's last year in New York. In fact there is a chance that he might not even make it through the rest of the season as head coach. I don't know what is going on with any of our teams as the Giants, Steelers and Eagles are a combined 1-11. There isn't much to say about this.

Me: So, what was the big NFL news this week? I have news to tell, during the New England vs Atlanta game they played "Slow Ride" during the New England challenge. Maybe I'll become an Atlanta fan. Go Falcons!!

Jeff: I didn't know that they played "Slow Ride". That's cool. The Falcons are a very good team and if you were going to abandon your team and jump on someone's band wagon, that isn't a bad choice. I don't believe in such craziness. I am fateful to my Steelers no matter how sucky they are!

Me: I would never stop being a Giants fan. Haha.

Jeff: Good. I hate front runners.

Me: Yeah, I was kidding. So, what other NFL news is there?

Jeff: The big news is how awesome Peyton Manning has done. He has thrown more touchdowns then any other team has scored touchdowns. It is an incredible run right now.

Me: Wrong Manning is doing well. Alright, so, I am beating you which is cool, and Lori is in the lead. How are we looking this week?

Jeff: Unfortunately you went 0-2 last week, I went 1-1 and Lori went 2-0 again last week. So Lori has 22 points. She is the Denver Broncos of our league. We are our own teams of Pittsburgh and the Giants with 6 points each. She has more then double our scores even if we combined our scores.

Me: Damn, Lori!! Good job. Okay, let's do this weeks picks. I say Saints will win by 7 and Rams will win by 7 as well. And the Eagles will beat the Giants by 60. That's not an official pick but you might as well give Lori that point now.

Jeff: Lori is going with Miami by one point and Lions by two points. My picks are Denver by 7 and Carolina by 3 points.

Me: Good job, Jeff. Have a good week and I'll see you here next weekend.

Jeff: We will see you next week!


Alright, the 36th artist to be pheatured in the Peverett Phile Art Gallery is Rebekie Bennington and this is one of her pieces...



Rebekie will be a guest on the Phile tomorrow.




Okay, today's pheatured guest is the lead singer of the Florida band Solia Tera whose latest EP "Diamonds, Dirt, Iron Pyrite, and a Pearl of Great Prize" is available on iTunes. Man, what a long title. Please welcome to the Phile... Christoper Noyes. I misspelt is as Christopher the whole time. I am an idiot!


Me: Hello, Christoper, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Christoper: I am well, how are you?

Me: I am okay. Sorry I misspelt your name in the last few entries leading up to this one.

Christoper: Accidents happen I suppose.

Me: You guys are based in Lakeland, Florida, right? I am based in Clermont. Have you lived in Lakeland all your life?

Christoper: Yes. I moved to Lakeland in the summer of 2008. I think it was that summer. I made the move for several reasons, the most monetarily attractive reason being, that several friends had agreed to sharing a house with me to save money, and try to build some form of community. Back then I was very idealistic about some things surrounding that idea. I've been in the same house for more then 2 years. Several friends and band mates have lived here at the Susan Street house (four or more or less of us at a time). It's been wonderful getting to know folks on this level. Having to share meals, bathroom time, crying, and laughing together. It's kept me sane (relatively) in many respects.

Me: Where did you go to school there?

Christoper: By school do you mean college?

Me: Yeah, I guess...

Christoper: I went to college in Orlando for a while. I was majoring in "audio production" and minoring in "musical performance." But I stopped because I just couldn't resolve many of the ideas associated with that method of ordering life, with certain personal believes I have adopted. I found I was always living in tomorrow. "Once I get this degree I'll do this." or " as soon as I am out of school I'll do that" I am over simplifying this whole subject for the sake of time (and reader interest.) I hope the idea translates. I was always packaging the only thing I have today and shipping it to tomorrow for some abstract sense of security that no one could explain to me (at least that made me feel peace.) The idea was sort of summed up in this question: If I were to die before school was over, if I were to die right now, today, would my life have been a waist? School is not for everyone. Especially if you are in it because you feel obligated by some need for security. It's a lot of money and a ton of time to spend doing something you're not even sure you will find fulfillment in when you're 40. Besides, at 18 you have no idea what you want, and you have all these things stimulating your decision making. At the time, I just was very unhappy with many things, including this notion of using some degree I get years from now, to find a job even more years down the line, so I can save enough money to do basically the same thing for the rest of my life, chasing some odd desire to keep life going. But no one could tell me why! We build all of this stuff to keep life around as long and as safe as possible, but then we don't even know what to do with the time we have. Sorry for all of that. College can be a wonderful and invigorating place. Learning is honestly so much fun. I think people assume college is the only place you can learn, though. There is a world of resources out there for learning! videos or manuscripts on the internet, or the at library, even with college there are so many programs that can provide free tuition, or at least make it a bit more affordable. I have recently started taking a few classes again due to discovering one of these programs. I am able to take courses free! And it's now in something I actually find joy in today, currently (I am not going purely to get a degree, I am just interested in what I am studying, which is now physics.)

Me: I have to ask you about your bands name... Solia Tera. What does that mean, Chris?

Christoper: The name was taken from a story I was working on when I was younger. One of the plot devices for the story was a language I was inventing. (Many of the words are interchangeable to sort of give depth to the notion that many ideas are very interconnected, and not as categorical as we think in western understanding.) Also, total Tolkien rip-off. Sorry for that too. In short, the words were chosen because they are combinations of some of my favorite letters, or combinations of letters in the english language (i.e. lowercase "i" and "a" "ia" is so beautiful to me.) One of the meanings ascribed to them in the story is: "Songs of Love"

Me: Who is in the band with you, Chris?

Christoper: Currently the band consists of my friends Austin, Corey, Robert, Kevin, and myself. Our friend Derek has also played with us, and several others have helped out at odds and ends when needed.

Me: I read that you guys use a lot of unusual instruments with your recordings, things that you wouldn't normally use to play music with. Explain what I am talking about.

Christoper: Well, I suppose we do. We use the currently considered orthodox instruments, like guitar, drums, horns, and glockenspiel. Those are fairly common now, which I enjoy. I really like it that these days, bands having bells or horns is no longer considered a weird or "unique" thing by most. As far as 'unusual' instruments, I suppose the most honest answer would be those objects that are not classically considered "instruments" in the musical sense, like wrenches, paper, rocks, my bathroom sink, time, and certain toys meant for those "ages three and up" (Speak and Spell.) But lately I've tried really hard to stay away from using that sort of thing stemming from the the thought "This would be really weird, so lets use it!" for many reasons. One, it sort of shows where my heart is in crafting. Am making things to stand out or be different? I would find myself doing that with certain word choices in songs too. using some words to be outlandish verses their ability to cohesively and clearly describe something vividly and specifically. I always find myself sort of caught between being poetic in trying to really convey a point or idea, and trying really hard to sound "cool" or smart or unique. The Speak and Spell was used because the song was about the problem/ blessing of language. It spells out a word that is very important to this concept in the song, and I thought the whole idea of a kids toy spelling out the other side of this literary and philosophical idea would almost poke fun at it, and be endearing in a way. Maybe take off the intimidating edge most folks feel towards certain ideas and pull the rug out from under the hierarchy of "knowledge" the academic community has on such ideas. I mean, its a toy. I don't know. I just want people to believe they are all intelligent enough to share in this conversation. You don't have to be rich or have some piece of paper to have your voice worth listening to. Farmers and stay at home moms and fishermen think existentially, nihilistically, or theologically. They just don't share the jargon professors, philosophers, or theologians would use to call there thoughts "existential" etc. I just want folks to not be afraid of words. They have been used to sort of hold a monopoly on intellect. I just want people to believe they are worth the conversation going on here. But, sadly, most of the time I'm sure the motives are not so artistically driven. Its more like "how do I stand out now that everyone plays guitar?" So, I am sorry I am so back and forth and dishonest in my life. The truth is you can't find your value in those things. I remember that sometimes. I feel like that is when the best songs (and oddly the most unusual instrumentations are used.) But sometimes I forget, and I try to make people think I am cool or different. That is when the most pretentious or whatever songs are written. The ones I end up never using or morphing into other things.

Me: What made you decide to use different objects? Are you always still looking for odd instruments? You know, I can play the kazoo, so if you need a kazoo player...

Christoper: I am always looking for something new. Always thinking what else I can do with music. I stopped playing for a while because I felt that "art" in our time is sort of redundant. It made me really question my motives. I got the notion that several folks (including myself) liked the way being a musician looked, or the image of the starving artist was attractive to them, so, they picked up something so they could live in that image. I was really caught in that. Really wanting people to pick up on some image of me, and shaping that, instead of just focusing on BEING that. I say all that to say it's been so much fun to wonder about what NEW I can add. I mean nothing will ever be completely new artistically. Someone told me our brains learn associatively, so we can't really come up with completely new things. But that doesn't mean you have to just repeat the same thing. I like taking what I know, and trying to push it. And when I remember that I don't have to look to people to find worth, that is when it's the most fun and I find the most joy in thinking about new ideas. The real source of worth in my life is in my belief the source of creativity. I think being in love spawns creative expression. If you really feel loved, it's just too big for your body, it has to come out in some expression. So yes, I am always trying to be in love. Or at least remember that I am loved. And we are always looking for kazoo players! You have no idea how hard a real 'Kazooneer' is to find in the Central Florida area.

Me: I just purchased "Diamonds, Dirt, Iron Pyrite, And A Pearl of Great Prize" off from iTunes. That's your latest release, am I right? I hope I got the name right by the way. What a long ass title, Chris. Did you come up with that?

Christoper: Thank you! It is our latest now. That will change very soon. You did wonderfully on the title by the way. I am indeed to blame for it's exhaustive title. Well, I suppose It was more or less just a compilation of the ideas the album encompassed. A central theme to most of what I seem to find myself writing about is worth, and where it comes from. Diamonds to me are interesting, because diamonds don't tell each other they are worth something, and they don't elevate themselves above dirt. Humans come in and ascribe monetary value to them. Some outside body has to give them their worth. It's like, if you walked in to a families house and told them you were selling it for 50 bucks. They would kick you out or laugh because you don't own it. You didn't build the house. That is always something I try to think about when I try to find approval in people. Q: What does it mean? You have some songs on it with long titles as well. Even your first EP "A Flammarion Woodcut" has songs with long names as well.

Me: Tell the readers what are some of the song titles you have, Chris.

Christoper: I think I may have answered this a bit in my ramble above. Some of the longer ones I can think of are "So You Mean I DON'T Have To Chase The Wind Anymore?!" and "The Problem Was Never Being To Far Away, But, In Thinking We Had To Move Closer."

Me: Do you like writing songs with long titles?

Christoper: Well, I think I do. I am not sure. It's usually never a conscious effort. There are some songs with one or two word titles too. So I suppose whatever fits, fits. The titles are fun/stressful because it is sort of what will set a persons mind in any given direction prior to actually hearing a song. So I try to treat them as microcosms of the songs themselves, not just whatever word or phrase is said most in the song. But sort of how to spark interest while setting the mood the rest of the lyrics are going to follow in. Sometimes I get really stressed about that though. Anytime large ideas are compressed into very small places, lots of odd sometimes negative things happen.

Me: On your set lists, do you shorten them? Christopher: Most of the time. Unless I am trying to be funny.

Me: There's one song called "Xylem and Phloem". What does that mean?

Christoper: Xylem and phloem are the two types of transport tissues in vascular plants. They basically bring water and nutrients up and down the plant from roots to stems etc. much like our veins. Xylem's primary job is transporting soluble mineral nutrients up from the roots, and replacing water lost during photosynthesis. Phloem is responsible for transporting sucrose to any portion of the plant in need.

Me: Let's talk about your shows, Christoper, I heard they were wild. What is a typical Solia Tera show like?

Christoper: Well, this is odd for me to answer. I am usually onstage for them, so, to answer from my perspective, they are fun! Just come see one IF you have the time.

Me: I know you do a lot of shows around Florida, ever played in Clermont?

Christoper: Yes!

Me: You're a Christian based band, is that right?

Christoper: Most of the art I work on is in some way inspired by Jesus and his teachings. I have been greatly moved by his life and the notion that I am worth something to God. That has made me feel SO loved, that I don't know how to not somehow end up talking about it. Even if a song is about something along the lines of someone hurting me or something romantic not working out or whatever, I usually end up back at the idea: God specifically wants you, Chris. You don't have to work so hard at trying to be anything. It's so freeing to not have to live consuming all the time. Always trying to fill and working so hard to get people to clap or like me. I still fall in to that all the time. But when I take that to its absolute, If The creator of the universe loves me, Christoper Noyes, then I don't have to labor for that anymore. I can add, and create and build, I don't have to consume anymore. My life doesn't have to be in reaction to all that's bad around me, it can be areaction to that good. I think The life of Christ is the most vivid art piece we have as a human race. God had an idea, and held a belief: that all people are worth something, and that he loves them. And instead of just painting or writing a song, he lived his whole life and died to hammer that point across. I think it is very interesting too that He is called "the Word of God." That idea of words, and communication, and of art, of something trying to connect itself to something else that is distinct. It really moves me. It seems to be a general theme in the universe. Jesus as a person, and as an idea, just so profoundly resonates with me as an individual trying to find meaning and worth, that, I seem to always find myself writing about Him. I don't know much, but when I am alone thinking what I really want is to be worth something. Jesus tells me emphatically and lovingly, "you are."

Me: Okay, so, what's next from you guys? Any new material coming out? A live album perhaps? 

Christoper: Oh yes! We are just waiting to get mixes back now. We have been recording for a bit now. We did drums and with Aaron Marsh (from Copeland) who just opened a studio in town a couple blocks from my house. He is doing the mixing as well, which is really nice because mixing the "Diamonds, Dirt etc." EP drove me a bit mad. I like recording the instruments and writing and tinkering around with ideas and objects here in the house, But mixing is something I just don't enjoy. But, that EP should be done soon! I also have an albums worth of other material that I have been working on at the house, so bits and pieces of that may pop up here and there before a full length is released.

Me: Christoper, I wish you lots of luck, and I hope to see you in concert soon. Go ahead and plug your website and anything else you wish, my friend. Please come back when your next project comes out. You are a great interviewee. Thanks again.

Christoper: Thank you so much! I appreciate you listening/reading my rambling. We are on the Facebook and Myspace. Reverbnation.com/soliatera, facebook.com/pages/Solia-Tera/100156557873.  Thank you for the well wishes. I hope to see you soon as well!



Well, that's it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Laird Jim, Jeff Trelewicz and of course Christoper Noyes. The Phile will be back tomorrow with artist Rebekie Bennington and then on Monday with Phile Alum Charlotte Sometimes. Before I finish up I have to mention something. A few days ago I lost a dear friend who I knew for over ten years. Mike O'Sullivan, I'll miss you. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.


No comments:

Followers